Friday, April 20, 2012

Food Friday - Beet-Feta Salad

I love salads.  Nothing says to me "adult meal" like a nice salad.  Most times when I'm at a restaurant, I'll order a salad and savor using a knife and fork (two hands!) to eat my salad...I guess the years of eating one-handed while feeding little ones with my other hand have made a strong impression.

Currently, this is my favorite salad for dinner - quick, easy, nutritious and delicious.



Beet-Feta Salad

1 cooked beet or 6-7 sliced pickled beets (from jar), chopped
3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted
125g Feta cheese (about 1/3 cup) crumbled or in chunks
1 Head of Butterhead lettuce (or Feld Salat or another dark green lettuce)

Balsamico Vinaigrette Dressing

In a frying pan, toast sunflower seeds on high heat for several minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent burning.  Clean and prepare lettuce, add chopped beets and Feta.

Dressing: (OK, I've never actually measured, so this is my best guess)
1 Tbs Balsamico vinegar
3 Tbs oil - I use olive oil, sometimes with lemon or lime flavoring. Pumpin and walnut oils also work well and add a nice flavor.
1-2 Tbs beet juice
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt, pepper

Sometimes I add mustard to the dressing, which overrides any other flavors in the dressing (so I do that only if I'm not using a flavored oil).

Add sunflower seeds to the lettuce, Feta and beets and mix with the vinaigrette  - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment