Thursday, March 15, 2012

Theology Thursday - Words

Proverbs 12:18
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

We just started learning this proverb as a family.  I am very thankful to have learned many proverbs with rhythm and motions as a child (thanks NCS!).  Although I haven't practiced these verses in many years, it's amazing to see how quickly they return to my memory.  This is giving me great motivation to help my kids also memorize Scripture, to keep this wisdom close to their hearts.

This proverb has a special place in our household right now.  For the kids, we're in a phase of using our words to hurt one another (which, I do think, is one step up from using our fists or biting our siblings) when one is offended.  However, regularly telling your brother or sister that they can never be your friend again or are no longer invited to your birthday party is not what we hope to have as sibling conversations.  And we're also seeing random "adult language" slipping into their vocabulary (it's currently popular in Germany to use "horny (geil)" as a "cool" adjective...not cool when it's your five year old calling something "horny" - what?!).  Also, since knights/Vikings/Romans/pirates are currently our favorite characters, the kids know a thing or two about swords.

Speaking from my current situation, this proverb is also very applicable.  How am I using my words towards Igor and the kids?  Is my speech bringing healing to a situation or simply cutting those around me with reminders of my frustration/anger/being offended?  I've found myself changing responses I would have made because of thinking of this proverb.

So this verse is perfect for our family at this time.  I'm finding myself asking the kids (and myself) if our words are healing or piercing.  It's a much quicker way to get to the heart of the matter (whether the problem is not sharing toys or pushing to be first or trying to get out the door with clothes, shoes and jackets on...we use our words to respond to the situation and need to remember which words we are choosing).

No comments:

Post a Comment