Thursday, February 9, 2012

Theology Thursday

Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joint and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

This past week, I experienced this Scripture in a very present way.  I have been involved in a Bible study on the book of Luke, and I found Luke 11:37-54 returning to my thoughts very often (Jesus rebukes the Pharisees and teachers of the Law).  In short, this scripture has caused me to evaluate the importance I place on how my house looks and how my children behave in public...ouch!  The scripture began a process of thinking about my priorities and how I interact with my family.  I feel this is just the beginning of a process (and that scares me a bit, since I don't like to see ugly, sinful parts of me), but I have the hope that maturity and good results will come from such a process of considering my priorities, my life focus and how I then live.

I've seen how Scripture that I memorized as a child (and adult) has affected my attitude when I take my disappointment/frustration/anger/sadness and replace it with words from the Bible.  I guess that's how it works: (Hebrews 12:1-2) when we fix our eyes on Jesus, we're throwing off things that easily entangle us and are able to run the race (living this life in a way that honors God).

No comments:

Post a Comment