Thursday, February 23, 2012

Theology Thursday

"I will never leave you nor forsake you" Hebrews 13:5b
Some days, weeks, months, this part of a verse is exactly what I need to hear, again and again.  There are times when living here, far from "home" - family, old friends, familiar roads and landscapes, is hard.  I can get caught up in remembering all that was good and special about Pennsylvania or Arizona, that I forget that there is a purpose for us living here in Frankfurt.  I guess that's what makes this Expat experience doable for me.  Igor and I believe (and seek to live that belief!) that this is where we are to be right now, to be serving God for a variety of purposes.

And when some of those purposes seem draining or unproductive or whiny (yesterday and today we've had sick, whiny kids), well, we can remind one another that God will not leave us or forsake us. And this quote is from Deuteronomy 31:5, which is reminding Joshua to be strong and courageous!  So, even if I feel tired or defeated or home-sick, I can find courage and strength in the knowledge that I am neither alone nor forsaken. 

As I remembered this portion of a verse tonight and looked to see the context, I was encouraged to see it's set in verses describing how we're living - loving one another, showing hospitality, helping those in need (in prison or suffering), respecting marriage, being dependent on God not money for security and contentment (Hebrews 13:1-5).  That adds even more depth to this reminder that God will not forsake us, and that our lives should reflect this knowlege.

Yep, that definitely is what makes this whole thing called life so meaningful, vibrant and doable:)

No comments:

Post a Comment