Friday, January 20, 2012

Food Friday - Breakfast

I think I am going to love Food Friday...it's fun to think about what I can make, photograph and present.  It's even more fun to eat it!

This week I've tried a long-time favorite recipe (a breakfast egg dish - original recipe given to me by my friend Maurie when I lived in Arizona) in a different form - as muffins instead of a casserole.

The recipe: (+/- a bit for the veggie content)
2 inches leek, sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp butter
1/2c frozen spinach (thawed, chopped)
3 eggs
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
Salt, Pepper, Herbs de Provance (to taste)
250ml/1 cup cream
1cup (about 75g) shredded cheese - Gouda, Emmentaler, Cheddar

Sautée leek and mushrooms.  In a mixing bowl, combine eggs with flour, then add baking powder and spices.  Add leek, mushrooms, spinach, cheese and cream.  Mix together, then spoon into muffin tin.  Bake at 350F/180C for 25 minutes. With this recipe, I made 6 normal-sized muffins and 12 mini-muffins.  You can refrigerate the muffins and reheat for breakfast - a great, fast breakfast!


Sometimes, I substitute the spinach with broccoli.  If I want meat, I combine broccoli with bacon and spinach with sausage.

Normally, I pour the egg mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.  This is also really easy to mix together the night before, refrigerate and bake the next morning (without the baking powder...I add that just before baking).  But the muffin form made this dish even more fun for the kids and having a quick, relatively healthy breakfast is nice for me. Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment