Thursday, January 26, 2012

Theology Thursday

Each week as I think about this blog, part of my conscience keeps nagging me to have this be a "tough" theology entry.  To tackle huge, difficult questions about my faith and to not shy away from difficult themes. (all this while Timmy is faithfully washing the dishes...and himself and the floor...)
As I thought about this idea/pressure (from myself) the past few days, I've become resolved to address this Theology Thursday from a more personal view.  I want to share what is influencing and shaping my study and understanding of God and my relationship to Him and how I then live my life.
Some weeks, that may mean addressing tough issues.  But I think most weeks it means addressing the normal habits and reminders I need to keep my eyes on living a life for the glory of God.

Therefore, I want to share a verse I memorized many years ago:

Psalm 68:19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.

This verse has reminded me very often of my need to look outward, not on my own immediate situation, but on the general situation in my life: I live in a peaceful area, have no hunger or thirst, have a very comfortable home, am healthy, have interests and hobbies I can pursue, have friends and family...the list goes on and on.

And when I am in a difficult time, I know that I am going through it not on my own.  The Bible reassures me many times that God is with me; He knows the ups and downs of my life and He does not forsake me during the hard times, even when I am not being an "amazing Christian", as I sometimes trick myself into thinking that this the end all and be all of my existence (it's not.  Living in a way that gives God glory, that demonstrates love for Him and my fellow man, is the end all and be all for me.)

I hope that this verse can encourage you where you are at this morning, whether it's in the midst of a trial or in the midst of peace.  God is with you and, because of who He is and what He has done, is worthy of your praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment